Property lost as fire guts MUBS students hostel in Bugoloobi
THE OBSERVER – Fire has today gutted Baheesi hostel in Bugoloobi in Nakawa and property worth millions of shillings lost. The hostel is mostly used by students of Makerere University Business School (MUBS). The fire reportedly started from the rooftop of the hostel.
According to students and witnesses, the fire at Baheesi started at around 3pm from the top most floor and was most likely caused by a short circuit. By 5.41pm the entire roof had sunk in and almost if not all property on the upper floor destroyed. Witnesses say the fire took time before it spread out to the entire roof.
The five storey hostel houses both boys and girls on all its five floors, separated by a corridor in between. It was not immediately clear how many students occupied the hostel or lost property. Being holiday time, according to students, only about a quarter of the students were in the hostel but most of them had left their property behind when they broke off for holidays.
Students claim the fire brigade police was called early enough but they took almost an hour to arrive at the scene. Some even claim that the first fire fighting truck to arrive did not have water and the fire fighting hose pipes appeared too short.
The hostel reportedly changed ownership about two months ago.
0#1 Odongkara 2018-05-28 17:28
Women murders, kidnappings and now hostel fires? Where are our TV prophets to tell us our problems?Quote | Report to administrator
0#2 gatashimana 2018-05-28 19:04
A little suspicious. The police needs to fully investigate… oh, wait, they are incompetent.Quote | Report to administrator
0#3 Ugthinker 2018-05-28 21:00
It’s like the only news in our uganda today is to be bad news by default!
Maybe we are experiencing the epitome of incompetence from all administration units in the country.Quote | Report to administrator