REFUGEES: Cholera victims reach 1290 among DRCongo refugees in Uganda
URN (THE OBSERVER) – The number of cholera victims in Hoima district following an outbreak in refugee settlement areas has reached 1,290. The outbreak has so far claimed the lives of 29 people.
James Hakim Taban, head of the UNCHR sub-office in Hoima, says they recorded 400 new cholera cases last week including refugees and members of the host communities. He says the new cases were registered at Sebigoro reception center and Kasonga.
He explains that the victims are receiving treatment in the isolation centers. Taban however, notes that no new death has been recorded since Friday last week. He notes that the number of cases is expected to go up since a number of refugees are still scattered within the host communities.
Taban says UNHCR together with the district and partner agencies have set up an emergency team to respond to fresh cholera cases at Sebigoro reception center.
The cholera outbreak was first reported at Sebigoro landing site on the shores of Lake Albert in Hoima district on February 11, 2018 among Congolese refugees fleeing tribal clashes between the Lendu and Hema in Eastern Democratic republic of Congo.