Museveni’s land probe committee is duping Ugandans with fake arrest threats
The Museveni regime has been running a scheme of alienating Ugandans off their land. It is common knowledge that the leading land grabbers are the top and powerful regime officials linked to the First Family, State House, security forces, cabinet, President’s Office and some Banyarwanda who enjoy preferential treatment. As the public outcry reached unprecedented levels, Museveni moved very fast to hoodwink Ugandans by appointing a Land Probe Committee.
Since the said committee commenced its work in May 2017, it has selectively unearthed a number of land grabbing schemes perpetrated by the same culprits mentioned above. In order to dupe the public, the committee has been making a number of empty orders whose end result nobody knows.
Here below, please find a sample of such fake orders:
- In June 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of a Senior Land Registry Officer, Noelina Atako Bogere over issuing Land Tittles for wetlands.
- In June 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of Yahaya Kisakye for grabbing government land at Kimaka in Jinja.
- In July 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of the Nakaseke District Senior Lands Officer, Geoffrey Tumusiime over his connivance with the other government officials and Senior army officers to grab land housing Kaweweta military installation.
- In July 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of a Rwandese disguising as a Kenyan and former aide to Police chief, Wekesa Murunga over illegal eviction, harassment and fraudulent acquisition of hundreds of hectares of land in Luwero.
- In August 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of a Nakaseke based businessman, Hajji Swaibu Yiga over fraudulent acquisition of 1,048 acres of land. The same committee ordered for the arrest of Hajji Sqaibu’s Lawyer, Gastone Kanugisha over professional misconduct.
- In August 2016 the committee ordered for the arrest of the Katakwi RDC, Ambrose Mwesigye over swindling of compensation money meant for the eviction of 1,000 residents of Hoima from Kyangwali refugee camp land.
- In August 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of the Kapeeka Police Officer In-charge Station, ASSP Atai Ayeko over frustrating and interfering with the committee’s investigations. He had facilitated and benefited in kind from the land grab.
- In September 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of the Principal Staff Surveyor, Vianey Lutaaya over unlawful eviction of over 60,000 people from Kyangwali refugee camp land.
- In October 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of the former Masaka District Land Board Chairman for illegally giving out 600 acres of public land to Gen. Wilson Mbadi at a peanut cost of 80M Ug shillings.
- In October 2017 the committee issued a Warrant of Arrest against Pastor Kakande over illegal acquisition of 40 Sq. miles of public land on the shores of Lake Victoria.
- In November 2011 the committee ordered for the arrest of business tycoon, Abdi Alam over alleged torture and killing of victims of land grabbing.
- In December 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of Capt. David Bashaija and Surveyor Mitusera Katusabe over fraudulent acquisition of public land owned by NARO. Earlier in March 2017 Gen. Angina had also ordered for the arrest of the same Capt. Bashaija for the same reasons to no avail. Owing to his high connections, Capt. Bashaija is kind of a General who is untouchable.
- In July 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of the Jinja based private Surveyor, David Pande for having portioned to himself part of the public land he had been hired to survey.
- In July 2017 the committee ordered the police to take action against five senior police officers for having ignored a court order leading to demolition of a government property by a highly connected private company.
- In September 2017 the committee ordered for the arrest of the RDC, Mubende, Florence Beyunga for her involvement in helping a Chinese Company to forcefully evict people from seven villages in Mubende.
The laws of Uganda are very clear on the 48 hours requirement for an arrested suspect to be produced in court. It’s now over five months since the committee started its work and spontaneous issuing of orders of arrests but no one has been formally charged in court. Instead the public continues to be hoodwinked into believing that the committee will come up with lasting solutions to the land grabbing scourge.
INFORMATION IS POWER AND DEFIANCE IS THE WAY TO GO
change of guards blog