Main Menu

Murder stories of January 2, 2018

Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

UPDF officer shoots dead 12-year-old student

Police officers waiting to offload the

Police officers waiting to offload the deceased’s body at Iganga Hospital mortuary. PHOTO BY YAZID YOLISIGIRA

KAMPALA (DAILY MONITOR) – Police have arrested a Uganda People’s Defence Forces (UPDF) soldier for allegedly shooting dead a boy believed to be about 12 years of age.
The boy, whose names were unknown by press time, was shot in the back on Monday following chaos that marred a football match between Byendha FC and Super Eagles.
The highly-billed game that was organized by Iganga Municipality MP Peter Mugema to mark the New Year at Saza Grounds in Iganga, had Shs4 million at stake for the winning team.
In the run-up to the match, police, assisted by the army, had deployed heavily as thousands of fans of either team turned up to support and partake of the legislator’s money.

However, Busoga East Police Spokesperson, James Mubi, said the match that started well with Super Eagles leading by one goal in the first half, turned chaotic in the second half when Byendha FC equalized but the linesman adjudged the scorer to have been offside and cancelled the goal.
“When the goal was disallowed, Byendha FC supporters stormed the pitch to attack the referees but were restrained by security and in the ensuing scuffle, a UPDF soldier who was hit by a stone, accidentally shot the 12-year-old boy,” Mr Mubi said and declined to reveal the name of the soldier. He however, said he is attached to Magamaga Barracks.

According to Julius Waiswa, an eyewitness, the deceased was shot from a distance of about 100 metres from the pitch as the soldier pursued an unidentified man who had reportedly pelted stones at him.
“As the scuffle ensued, the deceased started running to safety as the soldier pursued a male assailant who had reportedly hit him with a stone, while directly pointing his gun at him. Unfortunately, the bullet accidentally hit the innocent boy,” Mr Waiswa told Daily Monitor.
When the gun fell silent, the deceased was found lying in a pool of blood. Mr Mubi said the soldier is detained at Iganga Police station as investigations continue.
By press time, the unclaimed body of the deceased was still lying at Iganga Hospital mortuary.

KAMPALA (DAILY MONITOR) – The deteriorating security situation in Masaka Sub Region since 2016 has now forced the police chief, Gen Kale Kayihura, to pitch camp in Bukomansimbi where attacks by unknown machete-wielding assailants have generated anxiety among residents.

Gen Kayihura’s visit comes just a day after five people including a retired Senior Superintendent of Police, Mr Denis Ssebugwawo, were killed in cold blood as the suspected thugs attacked families in the districts of Lwengo and Bukomansimbi in the wee hours of the New Year’s Eve.

The attacks came just hours after President Museveni had assured Ugandans of security in his New Year message on Sunday.
While, addressing residents in a public meeting held in Kisojjo trading centre, Gen Kayihura assured residents that the attackers will be apprehended and prosecuted.

“As I did in Wakiso [District], I’m to camp here and make sure that first of all, we arrest these assailants and also lay strategy of defending our communities,” he noted.
According to the IGP, attacks had ‘no pattern’ and were not targeting specific individuals but could be intended to terrorize the public.

Gen Kale Kayihura (L) moving with Lwengo

Gen Kale Kayihura (L) moving with Lwengo District chairperson, George Mutabaazi, after one of the security meetings in Bukomansimbi District. PHOTO BY CHRISTOPHER KISEKKA

The Southern Regional Police Commander, Mr Latif Zaake, revealed that their preliminary investigations had generated leads that could produce positive results.

“During our investigations, we have been able to get links between the lynched suspected attacker and some of the criminals we arrested recently,” Mr Zaake said adding that this may help them track and arrest the suspects.
Gen Kayihula said that he will increase visibility of police officers in the different villages.

A regional security meeting has also been called after which the IGP will hold several other meetings with concerned stakeholders including LC chairpersons, village defense secretaries and crime preventer coordinators.
Several residents were blaming the persistence of the attacks to police saying it has failed to control the situation.
However, Mr George Mutabaazi, the Lwengo District chairperson put the blame on laxity of residents who think that police must offer protection at every door.

“For this matter, it’s not police to blame. How do men attack and kill your neighbour and you stay quite in your house?” Mr Mutabaazi wondered.
A one Paul Kimuli was praised and promised to be awarded for alerting the residents in Kisojjo and saving a family of six when thugs attacked.
Night attacks on homesteads have remained unresolved and become a public security concern in Masaka sub region, since 2016 despite the security agencies’ intervention to restore order.

Some government officials including ministers have been blaming the attacks in the region and nearby areas on political wrangles but this also remains unclear.

Thugs kill 5, injure 12 in Bukomansimbi, Lwengo districts

The incident happened between midnight and 2am as Ugandans were celebrating the New Year just hours after president Museveni assured Ugandans of security.
Unknown assailants armed with guns, pangas and clubs moved from village to village robbing and hacking people.

The attacked villages are Kiryasaaka located in Kkingo Sub County in Lwengo district, Kisojjo, Kyabagoma and Kyamabaale in Kibinge Sub County in Bukomansimbi district.

Those killed were identified as Denis Ssebugwawo Lumala, a retired police officer who was hacked several times on the head. Others are Jane Nantale, John Sseremba and Gonzaga Kayemba and another unidentified man. All these were killed in Kisojjo, Kyabagoma and Kiryasaaka. All these villages are neighbouring each other.

Ssebugwawo’s daughter, 15-year-old Nancy Nambuya, is admitted at Masaka regional referral hospital with head injuries.

Dick Muwanga, the Kkingo LC3 Chairman who rushed to Kiryasaaka trading centre, says at least seven homes were attacked in this area leaving several injured.

Muwanga notes that the thugs exploited the New Year celebrations when people were making all sorts of noise. He says it was very difficult for the rescue mission because even those that called for help could not get it since all people were in celebrations.

At Kisojjo village where Denis Ssebugwawo Lumala, a retired police officer was killed, the whole community is in shock.

His wife Hadijja Nakanwagi says the thugs gained access to their house using the backdoor after hitting it pen with a huge stone. Nakanwagi explains that the thugs were about four in number. She says they first asked for money and her husband gave them Shs35,000.

She, however, says they demanded for more money but her husband told them that the money had been paid to one herdsman to buy a cow for their upcoming family function. According to Nakanwagi, the thugs became very bitter and they hacked Ssebugwawo on the head.

His son, Stephen Nkalubo, adds that at this point, they made an alarm which prompted the attackers to hit her younger sister Nambuya on the head and she collapsed. Nkalubo says he escaped and ran away.

Mr Isaac Lwanga, a district councillor blames the insecurity on lack of police presence in the area. He says most of these areas have no police despite the fact that they have a big population with several trading centres.

Mr Mukasa Kityo, the Bukomansimbi Resident District Commissioner (RDC), says police have started hunting for the attackers.

This attack is just one of the numerous unresolved killings that have rocked the region for several months now.

Last year, at least 30 people were killed in similar circumstances and up to 50 others were hospitalized in Lwengo, Rakai, Kalungu and Masaka districts. Police arrested over 100 suspects in connection with these murders although no one has been prosecuted.

Mr Lameck Kigozi, the greater Masaka regional police spokesperson says police are still investigating the killings.
The attack happened just hours after President Museveni castigated police over the increasing criminality in the country and assured Ugandans of security.
Citing the resent example of women murders which claimed the lives of more than 20 women in Entebbe and Nasana Municipality, Wakiso District, Mr Museveni said the assailants were taking advantage of a gap in the security infrastructure.

“Even the old Police methods could have unearthed those criminals earlier. However, some laxity had crept in with some elements in the Police failing to do what they should have done. Vigorous corrective measures were taken and are being taken to ensure that the Police Force is totally free of infiltration by criminals or any other non-patriotic elements,” Mr Museveni in a two hour New Year message broadcast live from his home in Rwakitura on Sunday.

He added: “On the side of security, I want to, again, assure Ugandans of their security. In order to send a message to the terrorists, the UPDF launched an air and Artillery attack on ADF who continue to freely use Eastern Congo to train, recruit and send assassins in Uganda like the ones who killed a number of Sheikhs last year.”

How three suspected robbers were gunned down in Namanve

Bodies of suspected robbers lying on the road

Bodies of suspected robbers lying on the road following a shootout with police on Sunday. COURTESY PHOTO

KAMPALA (DAILY MONITOR) – The Police Flying Squad on Sunday shot dead three suspected armed robbers who had reportedly planned a robbery at Azam factory and Kingdom Rice in Namanve industrial area.

According to the Kampala Metropolitan Police spokesperson Luke Owoyesigire, the Flying Squad got intelligence at about 4pm that there were people planning a robbery in Namanve.

He says the Flying Squad decided to lay an ambush for the suspects but they decided to divert after realizing that there was police deployed in the area.

Owoyesigire says three of the suspected robbers were shot dead while one of them managed to escape on a motor cycle.

Police recovered an unmarked SMG rifle on the scene. Police is yet to identify the deceased robbers.

The shooting happened in Buuto area inside the industrial park in the northern wing, off Jinja Road.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.
Sharing is caring: