DRCONGO: Kabila’s daughter Sifa denied US visa
EXCLUSIVE REPORT via @UG_EDGE, KAMPALA
Sifa Kabila, the daughter of Congo President, Joseph Kabila, is not allowed to visit United States of America, according to reports from the neighbouring Congo.
The US consulate in Kinshasa allegedly refused to grant the visa to Sifa Kabila for her vacation in the US.
“Sifa saw her tourist visa being refused by the US embassy in Kinshasa on 25 July 2018,” said a source.
“American sanctions have already started to affect Kabila’s own family,” the source claimed.
Sifa Kabila was born in 2001 (age 17 years) to Joseph Kabila and his wife Olive Lembe di Sita.
Her grandparents are Laurent-Désiré Kabila [former Congo leader who was assassinated] and his wife Sifa Mahanya. Her aunt is Jaynet Kabila.
US says Kabila not eligible to stand again
This week, the USA told Kabila to stop posturing and say where he stands as far as another term of office is concerned.
While addressing the UN Security Council Briefing on the Situation in the Democratic Republic of the Congo, US Ambassador Jonathan Cohen, on Thursday July 26, 2018, cited Ms. Masika Bihamba’s testimony regarding the threats against women in the DRC.
He praised Masika’s courage in seeking protection, care, and justice for survivors of sexual and gender-based violence.
“Yesterday was an important day, with the opening of the candidate registration period in the DRC. As we have repeatedly stated, we expect President Kabila to abide by the DRC constitution and the December 2016 Agreement.”
Ambassador Cohen said Kabila is not eligible under Congolese law to seek a third term.
The United States regretted that President Kabila did not use his July 19 address to Parliament to resolve the uncertainty regarding his intentions.
“Turning to elections preparations, December 23 is rapidly approaching. This Council authorized MONUSCO to provide logistical support to the elections, and we expect the DRC government to take advantage of the support that MONUSCO has offered.”
Cohen said it is absolutely critical that the Independent National Electoral Commission make detailed requests for logistical support from MONUSCO in a timely fashion.
“We have not yet seen evidence of how the Electoral Commission would organize elections without MONUSCO’s assistance, and MONUSCO cannot afford to wait until the last moment to put a plan into action.”
Additionally, the Commission must take steps to ensure voters can cast their votes via a mechanism that is tested, trusted, and guarantees secrecy of the vote – namely paper ballots, the ambassador said.
He noted that deploying more than 100,000 unfamiliar, untested, and possibly unworkable electronic voting machines for the first time during a critical national election poses an enormous and unnecessary risk.
“What do Congolese authorities plan to do if these untested voting machines malfunction on Election Day and jeopardize the credibility of the results? Is there a backup plan? And if so, what is it?”
“We must also not lose sight of the violence we have witnessed recently in eastern DRC. The United States commends MONUSCO’s quick response to clashes in Bijombo this month, but remains deeply concerned by reports of human rights abuses, with tens of thousands of people fleeing the violence. Ultimately, violence in eastern DRC and in other parts of the country will not abate without genuine, credible, inclusive, and peaceful elections, and without a commitment to hold those responsible for such violence to account.”
He said US has not forgotten the murders of UN experts Michael Sharp and Zaida Catalan, and we will not stop pressing for those responsible to be held accountable.
The international community is united in these concerns, as evidenced by last week’s joint communique with the AU Peace and Security Council.
“We urge other members of the Security Council to push for well-planned elections, including through members’ bilateral conversations, and to consider the possibility of targeted sanctions against those who threaten the DRC’s peace and security.”
The ambassador insisted that Congolese people have been waiting nearly two years for an opportunity to cast their votes and choose new leaders, as outlined in their Constitution.
“President Kabila has committed repeatedly to respect the Constitution and implement the December 2016 agreement. We are a mere five months away from Election Day. The time for posturing is over.”
—— AUTO – GENERATED; Published (Halifax Canada Time AST) on: July 28, 2018 at 05:10PM