Those who can and cannot be murdered by the Museveni regime
On 20th July 2017 in Lugusulu, Sembabule district, a one PC Canaan Nkamuhebwa shot dead a one Tumukunde Paul following a simple scuffle. The culprit was attached to Police Presidential Guard Unit under as a guard to Museveni’s relative commonly referred to as Senga wa Museveni (Museveni’s aunt), a one Jovia Kabuganda. The victim was a son of the LC 3 Chairman for Lugusulu Sub county, Fred Karakure. Two days later, on 22nd July 2017, the army court martial convened in Sembabule, tried, convicted and sentenced PC Canaan Nkamuhebwa to death. The army issued a statement to the effect that the punishment is to be carried out shortly after the condemned PC Canaan has exhausted the appeal process.
Two months ago, in May 2017, Museveni attended the wedding of Mr. and Mrs. Kabuganda in Lugusulu where he donated three Friesian cows to the newly wed and ten million shillings to the local church. The other two bodyguards of Senga Wa Museveni have also been found guilty of abetting the murder and sentenced to 15 and forty years respectively. This is madness of the highest level; two days of investigation, trial and sentencing a capital offence!!!!!!!!! The supersonically speedy summary trial also poses the question of whether the convict, PC Canaan Nkamuhebwa is a police officer or a soldier in police uniform and the entire mixing up of security management
It happened during Museveni’s Bush War where a few unfortunate victims were arbitrarily executed by firing squad just to hoodwink the public. Ever since Museveni took over power 31 years ago, his security personnel have committed grave heinous crimes against civilians but no one has ever been put on firing squad. It’s only in March 2002 when an Irish Priest was shot dead in Karamoja and the army executed two Acholi junior soldiers within 24 hours. It later emerged that those soldiers had been sacrificed to cover up for the state sanctioned murder of the Irish Priest because he had highlighted the army atrocities in Karamoja during the brutal disarmament exercise.
In the instant case, the hasty trial and threats of execution is prompted by the fact that the Victim, Paulo Tumukunde was a son of a prominent Muhima who is also an LC 3 Chairman. Further, it’s because the incident involves abuse of power where the so-called Senga Wa Museveni is irregularly accorded a VIIP treatment with a government fleet of cars and bodyguards. But above all, it demonstrates that there are people who are supposed to be murdered and those who should not be murdered. In December 2014, another untouchable prominent Muhima in the neighboring Ntusi Sub county, Emmanuel Kamihingo, the LC 3 Chairman murdered a one Nkatunga.
The police arrested him and took him to court but before he could appear before the Magistrate at Sembabule, armed security operatives forcefully got him from the police custody and drove him away. The DPC claimed to have got a call from the DPP ordering for his release without charges. The Resident State Attorney, Masaka, Baxter Bakibinga who had sanctioned the charges claimed that the file had been prematurely sanctioned before promising to reinstate Kamihingo on the charge sheet after gathering sufficient evidence. That was the end of the story but it later emerged that the powerful, Sam Kuteesa had threatened the law enforcement agencies into letting Kamihingo off the hook.
It is a fact that the Museveni regime security machinery has a licence to maim and kill with impunity. For the past one decade and more so in recent times, killing of innocent Ugandans by security officers has been the order of the day. The perpetrators have maimed and killed with impunity in a wider scheme to spread terror among the population. Where the regime purports to apprehend the culprits just for the sake of public relations, the cases take years and in many instances, are either swept under the carpet or end in favor of the perpetrators.
The most recent examples are as follows:
- June 2017 in Mbale a police officer shot and injured three senior two students.
- March 2017 in Mityana police shot dead three years old baby.
- In July 2017 in Kasese police shot dead a lorry driver.
- In June 2017 three top security managers of Ntoroko district, DPC, DISO and Battalion Commander killed two local residents.
- In June 2017 in Serere district, Sgt Richard Oring shot dead two people.
- In October 2015 in Akokoro, police shot dead three fishermen.
- In March 2017 in Soroti, SP Charles Opiko murdered Joseph Ochodu.
- In July 2017 in Rakai, police shot and injured a senior two student.
- In 2006 in Soroti, PC Francis Odeny shot and killed a senior two student, Francis Asiate.
- In April 2011 in Masaka, PC Paulo Mugenyi shot dead two years old Juliana Balwanga. The police chief told mourners that the culprit was to be tried by the military court.
- In 2010 in Ntoroko district, CMI’s Allan Kyomya killed a local resident, Babulitega.
- In March 2016 in Kiruhura district, PC Sam Babirweki shot dead two people.
- In 2011 Cpl Fred Makanya shot dead two people around Kabalagala in Kampala.
- In December 2012 CMI’s Alex Kitiyo shot dead PC Chemtai.
- In 2009 Army PGB’s Cpl. Mucunguzi shit dead eight people in Kampala.
- In December 2012 Army Cpl Rwakihembo shot dead three people and injured others in Kampala. He was sentences to 95-year imprisonment. On appeal, it was reduced to 30 years. Further appeal before the Court Martial Appeal Court, it was reduced to three years. He is out of jail.
- In 2013 Col. Kaye shot dead a one Kabuye.
- In 2012 two Local Defence Unit personnel at Lodwa army detach in Karamoja beat to death a 75 years old woman before sexually assaulting her two daughters.
- The Police December 2012 crime report indicated that security personnel had killed 40 people and attempted to kill 15 others.
- In March 2015 Cpl Kennedy Okum shot dead a bar maid over a 1,000 shs note.
- In March 2015 Pte Anguilla George shot dead five local residents of Kabong district.
- In April 2014 Pte Chris Amanyire shot dead ten people in Karugutu, in Ntoroko district.
- In March 2013 Pte Patrick Okot killed ten people and wounded two others and was sentenced to 90 years.
- In 2008 Cpl Francis Okello shot dead his girl friend in Karugutu, Ntoroko district. The Court Martial sentenced him to 95 years’ imprisonment in 2010.
- In June 1994 the Army ASU’s Richard Komaketch shot dead fourteen people and injured 13 others in Naguru, Kampala.
- In December 2014 PC Ogwang shot dead 13 people and wounded 14 others in Kamwenge district.
- In March 1998 Police’s Fred Ngobi shot dead seven people including four Chinese.
- In October 2006 army Cpl Bono Lino shot dead seven people at an IDP camp in Padyere.
- In September 2006 the army’s Pte Andrew Wanyama of 409 Brigade shot dead seven people at a night club in Arua.
- In October 2013 a private security guard shot dead eight people at Top Pub in Kampala.
- In December 2013 Police’s Patrick Odong shit dead three people at a pub in Kabalagala.
- In January 2014 Pte Andrew Shikaya shit dead a tractor driver in Moroto district.
- In July 2012 CMI’s Major Joel Babumba murdered Moses Kazungu in Kalungu district.
The above is just a tip of the iceberg but the fact is that Museveni’s security officers have a licence to kill and enjoy state protection in return for keeping the regime in power. Therefore, the hasty mock trial in Sembabule is meant to play on the psychology of Ugandans.
INFORMATION IS POWER AND DEFIANCE IS THE WAY TO GO
change of guards blog